Caliope's Corner
December 15, 2018, 08:32:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Arcade Search Member Map Calendar Links Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: registration agreement update  (Read 3150 times)
derek
« on: May 27, 2011, 12:47:39 PM »

In order to comply with new EU privacy rules that came into force Yesterday, I have updated the registration agreement. Everybody has to agree to it before they can use the forum

It is load of typical EU bollocks by a bunch of incompetent political idiots who know nothing about the internet or  computers
While I agree that there is a problem  with tracking cookies,. This directive which makes it compulsory for permission to be given before a cookie is set, is a sledeghammer to crack a nut

You can read the UK rules here http://www.ico.gov.uk/~/media/documents/library/Privacy_and_electronic/Practical_application/advice_on_the_new_cookies_regulations.pdf
Caliope
Administrator
United Kingdom

Reputation 22

Cute or what!

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »

Thanks derek

Yesterday the ICO announced that site owners had 1 year to comply with the new rules.

I emailed them last night:

Domain name registered in the UK with domain hosting outside the EU, typically the United States.

Domain name registration and domain hosting outside of the EU, but with UK based members/visitors.

Will these sites be required to comply?

I'll let you know what they say.

Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don’t have a good partner, you’d better have a good hand.
derek
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:38:47 PM »

The feedback I am getting is
if it is a co.uk domain it needs to comply
If it is any other European domain it needs to comply
If it is a site based in US with a US domain BUT has EU visitors, it needs to comply

It is where the end user connectinmg to the website is based that is relevant. Any EU resident can complain & take action if any site worldwide that he/she has access to doesn't get permission to drop a coookie on his/ her computer

As far as I can tell now because they have to press I agree on the screen before viewing the forum, we are covered, but you can bet some silly bugger will prove that the cookie was dropped before he had a chance to agree or exit without agreeing. I am not saying it will happen here or any small forum , but it will happen & he will get £££££££ in compensation for havinmg his privacy invaded
Caliope
Administrator
United Kingdom

Reputation 22

Cute or what!

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:05:11 PM »

Thanks for that Mr D.

The ICO hasn't replied as yet.

Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don’t have a good partner, you’d better have a good hand.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Save hedghogs from Strimmers
Total Twaddle